Monday, October 1, 2007

Rules for driving in Thailand

As far as I can tell, these are the rules for driving in Thailand:
-in general, drive on the left side of the road
-however, feel free to make use of all other space available: center line, shoulder, the other lane, etc.
-a solid double yellow line does NOT mean you cannot pass
-follow the car in front of you as closely as possible
-watch out for scooters
-fit as many people into one vehicle as possible (or on top of the vehicle, if necessary)
-What's a speed limit...?

Today after church, we went to Phuket to go shopping at Tesco, which is very similar to a Wal-Mart Supercenter, and to pick up Benz from the airport. She had spent the weekend in Bangkok for some Step Ahead business. It was really neat to see Phuket while not in a complete daze. We drove through part of the city after shopping. We passed through a couple of Muslim neighborhoods with mosques and bustling markets. Then we went to Surin Beach (I think that's what it's called) and had a nice meal at a restaurant right by the water. It poured almost the whole day, so it wasn't weather for swimming, and the waves were kinda rough at that beach anyway. But it was beautiful. Phuket is gorgeous! It is surrounded by lots of hills. We were only there for a few hours, so I didn't see much, but I'd really like to go back and spend a day there.

Last night, Paul and I went to dinner at Gang and Geng's place (I don't know if that's how to spell their names, and to make matters more confusing, Paul's Thai nickname is also Geng). The couple own a shop that sells adventure tours for tourists (like riding elephants, bamboo rafting, etc.). The lady, Gang, speaks German pretty well, which is why Paul introduced me to her. We sat out on a mat in front of their store and barbecued shrimp and squid and ate rice and curry. It was wonderful. We stayed for a long time and talked about all sorts of things; in fact, they shared with us their story of how they survived the tsunami. I just can't even imagine how scary it must've been for all those who witnessed it. People here are afraid of ghosts of all the people who died. Gang was interested in talking about spiritual stuff and she asked me how/ why I became a Christian, and that opened the door for me to share the gospel with her. She lives right down the road, so I'm sure I'll be seeing more of her. I think Paul and I will cook something for them next time.

3 comments:

Sam said...

Oh Bri. That's wonderful. All of it. What's the church like?

boen said...

Sounds like an interesting way of driving ehem....ehem.... (Just like my home).

It was interesting thing about the lady.

Yeah, how's the church Bri?

Hannah said...

Bri, what an amazing story! I just found your blog...for some reason it took me a while to realize that the website was on your facebook page. Anyway, I love reading about your life so far in Phuket. Oh, and I love Tesco. That's what England had. :) I'll be awaiting more stories! Oh, by the way, I called your cell phone and someone else answered your phone. Are your parents hosting a foreign exchange student? Anyway, she told me that she'd arrived safely, which I was very relieved to hear. Take care!