Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Eating caterpillars





Benz's mom and sister came down from northern Thailand, and they cooked a huge lunch for everyone. But I had already arranged to make lunch with Jit (the one in the blue shirt, who taught me how to make phad thai). So she taught me how to make green curry- yum! It was so delicious and actually really easy. It only took about 20 minutes! So now I can make two Thai dishes. We all sat down for lunch, and Benz asked me if I wanted to try "Thai French fries." I said "yes" hesitantly. I quickly changed my answer to "no" when I found out what she meant- fried caterpillars (as you can clearly see in the pictures). Well I might be pretty adventurous, but I don't eat bugs unless my life depends on it (that might be a slight exaggeration). In any case, I thought it was really gross but kind of funny, so I took pictures.

This evening, we had a really great class with the intermediates. It was the last class for this session, so we did a review game with the students and played charades. Next week, I'll finally start teaching my own classes! And today we got the schedule sorted out. I'll be teaching MW at Step Ahead and TR at the Sarojin. You can check out pictures of this amazing hotel, if you're interested: http://www.sarojin.com/overview_gallery.html .

After class, Gaan stopped by to ask for some help with German translations for brochures, so Paul and I went down to their shop and hung out for a while. Paul chatted with Geng while I corrected mistakes on the translations. The funny thing is, they were written by a native speaker, but there were a few spelling and grammatical errors. I am happy to be able to help in any way; Gaan and Geng are fun to spend time w/ and they've been so generous toward us. Plus, hehe, German tourists stop by a lot and I get to chat with them a little!

No comments: