Tuesday, October 30, 2007

new accountant, Ligretto, and care package from America... a good day!

Today was a day full of good things! First, we've been praying for a new accountant, since our lovely Taan is leaving us on Fri. to be an au pair in Virginia. It all happened so fast, but I think we just found out the day before yesterday that somebody would be taking Taan's place. He arrived this evening; his name is Amnuey, and he's from Chiang Mai. This is really good for two reasons: he's a guy and he's Thai! It helps balance the place out (at least a little) to have another guy so that Paul's not the only one, and also it'll balance things out for the Westerner- Thai ratio when the two new girls arrive from America. When they get here, there will be 4 Westerners and 3 Thai staff, although Paul really counts as either Western or Thai; I think he can go both ways w/ his language skills! Paul is in Phuket this week w/ his parents at a church retreat. He said he was giving me a break from his cheesy humor. It's true, he is a goofball. But we sure like to laugh together.

Anyhow, it was just a really nice evening, because our friend Mae came back from Bangkok today (you might have seen him in some of the first pics I took in Thailand, but he went to Bangkok for almost a month). So Amnuey arrived, and then we all ate dinner together. Amnuey is really nice. He just finished Bible college in Chiang Mai. I think he doesn't speak too much English, but it's good, b/c I can practice some Thai w/ him, and he can practice English w/ me. After dinner, I taught them how to play Ligretto, which was pretty good therapy to fight off my homesickness, because I REALLY miss playing games! I miss playing games, and I miss playing ultimate frisbee. Since it seems to rain day and night here, I don't think I'll be able to get too many ppl interested in learning ultimate at the moment! It might be pretty hard to organize anyway, since ppl have such busy and different schedules. Lastly, I am very happy to report that I received a letter from my host mom in Austria and a care package from America today containing a large bottle of Tums and some chocolate! (thanks, Scott, and whoever else might have contributed!) My friends at Step Ahead are happy about the chocolate, too. The chocolate made it intact (surprisingly!), so if anyone else feels inspired to send me chocolate, just ask me for my address. (Haha, I just realized that I said "chocolate" 5 times in the last few sentences). Tomorrow I'm teaching my cooking partner how to make banana pancakes so that she can have a break from teaching me how to make Thai food. Life is good. God is good.

No comments: