Wednesday, October 3, 2007

Thai students spoil me



This week I've been co-teaching some with Paul for his lessons. It's been really fun. I'm going to be so spoiled from teaching Thai students that I won't want to teach anyone else after this year. They are so sweet, enthusiastic, respectful, and fun. Even with the language barrier, it is somehow easy to communicate with Thai people because they are so warm and welcoming. It is true that body language and a smile can often communicate more than words. During the intermediate class tonight, unfortunately I got a bad case of laughter while we were doing a dialogue. It's like when you're not supposed to be laughing at church, but then everything just gets even funnier. I had to focus very hard on my paper with the dialogue on it and could not look at Paul anymore because he was laughing too.

I feel that in the past few days, my Thai has not improved at all, because I've been really busy trying to put together the curriculum for the intermediate and advanced classes. There are books and some lesson plans here, but there's not an entire curriculum for any of the classes, so that's what we're working on. It's hard. I don't even know how to go about planning the material for a whole class! (and for several different levels). One of the girls in the beginning class told me today that she's interested in taking a German class, so I'll decide how soon to offer it. I need to focus on the English classes first, though, which are quite enough to handle at the moment. Ok, it's getting late... time for bed.

1 comment:

boen said...

Bri, you're such an adorable teacher!!!

Learning the language takes time, SO
Don't be discouraged......