Friday, November 2, 2007

Taan's good-bye party and 3 on a motorbike


On Thursday night, we had a good-bye party for Taan, who is leaving tomorrow. We had a huge BBQ in front of the Step Ahead Center. It was really nice! In fact, a few of us spent a good portion of the afternoon skewering meat and veggies to make shish kabobs, which turned out delicious. A lot of people came, mostly from the two churches here. We watched a video with pictures of Taan, people made toasts to her, and we prayed for her. She will definitely be missed around here. I don't have any pictures from her party, but I'll post some when I get some from Benz's camera.

I spent pretty much the whole day working on lesson plans, which seem to be going very slowly, but I looked up a lot of games online that I can use for class, so hopefully that will prove useful in the long run, though it was very time-consuming. And at least I got my two classes for Mon. planned before the weekend. After a whole day of being inside, I said to Paul that we had to get out of the house, rain or no rain. I had cabin fever. So we went down to Gaan and Geng's, and I brought Ligretto to teach them how to play. It was so fun! Gaan was too tired to play, but Paul and Geng loved it, and another guy who was hanging out there joined us. Then we went down to the beach to James's restaurant (our Burmese friend that we met while running on the beach one day). The drinks were so pretty that I had to take our pictures with them. When it was time to go home (it was getting late), James offered us a ride home on his motorbike, which was nice b/c the streets were really flooded. But for some reason, I found it hilariously funny to actually be riding three on a motorbike (which they do in Thailand all the time), w/ Paul perched on the back (I think he was sitting on a luggage carrier, not an actual seat) and so I laughed the whole way home! I was really tired, too, which might have had something to do w/ it. James couldn't figure out what I was laughing at, but then he started in laughing anyway, and Paul just chuckled and said "brilliant," which set me off even worse. One might have wondered what I'd had to drink when I staggered off the bike, still laughing, but it was only orange juice.

Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Ciprian said...

I look at all your pictures and I see everyone in t-shirts, and think it must be great to have summer all year long. I had to pour some hot water on my windshield to get rid of frost this morning :(
Also I got to learn something new, I had no idea how people were cultivating mushrooms till I saw your pictures.
Let us know how your new lesson plans work out!