Friday, November 30, 2007

John's second visit; plans for this month




Check out new pics: http://picasaweb.google.com/briswann/ChongFahDinnerLoyKratongPingAndPumpkins These are some random pics from Benz's camera. My dad is sending me a camera which I hope will arrive before I go up north for Christmas break! I haven't finalized any dates yet, but I'm planning to go up north to Chiang Mai and Chiang Rai for maybe 5-6 days to visit a friend, do a visa run, and enjoy some cooler weather! Classes for this term end Dec. 13th, and then we're having a big Christmas party at Step Ahead Dec. 14th. So sometime after the Christmas party (maybe the 16th or so) I'll head up north. I'll stop off in Bangkok to visit John and Kim as well, maybe both on the way there and back. I wasn't expecting (or perhaps hoping NOT to) spend Christmas day here in Khao Lak, but I think it looks like I will after all, because we have a lot of things going on here and a lot of good outreach activities; we'll do Christmas caroling in the area (at hotels and stuf), have the Christmas party at Step Ahead for our students, and then a big service for all the churches in the area, plus any visitors who want to attend, on the 25th. Though I am definitely sad to be away from my family/families (both my American and Austrian ones!) during the holidays, I am reminded that I'm here to serve and share Christ's love and hope, and there's no better time to do that than the Christmas season (except for maybe Easter). I thought everyone from Step Ahead would go home for Christmas, but I found out that 4 out of 5 of us, at least, will be here. I'm not sure about Ping, but I suppose she will probably stay here, too. Benz will be getting ready to take off for New Jersey for a year to do a cultural exchange program with a church there, so she's not going home until January.


John came down on Thurs. and had a short visit with us; he left again on Fri. afternoon. We had a really nice dinner together at the Chong-Fah hotel/ restaurant on the beach (I've included a few photos from that, but they didn't turn out so well). It was really good to meet with him, though. I am encouraged every time I talk to him. He's such a good boss. He's definitely the visionary type; he has tons of good ideas and is always optimistic about carrying them out! (or having them carried out). But at the same time, he really looks after the well-being of his volunteers and listens to any concerns we have. He encourages us to develop our talents and empowers us to step out in new areas. He and Kim are both like that, and I appreciate them so much, even though I only see them once a month for short visits. There are a couple of exciting new projects/ things coming up for Step Ahead: Amnuey is going to start teaching a computer class, and one of the preschool teachers is going to start an eco-tourism hotel, where people can come stay and learn about Thai culture and lifestyle. I think they are planning to hire some guys from the Moken village (I wrote about/ posted some pics of them a while back) to work there. During the "downs" and sometimes boredom w/ my daily routine and the limitations I have to work w/ here, I am still reminded that this is an amazing opportunity that God has given me here.


Last night we loaded up the vehicle and went to Takuapa for a music contest put on by our friend Mae's church. It was really fun! The contestants were all teenagers. Our friend Ton was the emcee, and Mae translated the message given at the end by a Philipino guy. The music was not particularly good (often off-key!), but the kids had a great time, and it was a great outreach opportunity. Paul did some translating, too, for the judge (an American guy). It was a late night; we helped tear down and then left from Takuapa at around 11:15, picked up Benz from work and ate dinner around 11:30! Then we dropped off Ton in Lam Ken and Chaiyot at his house and got back around 12:30. It was such a good evening, though; I am happy that I'm starting to feel more connected here.


This morning, I finally got to visit Paul's church. Ton is the pastor there- in Lam Ken. Actually, I visited their cell group on Wednesday night, but I can't remember if I already wrote about that. Benz, Paul and I went there together today. It is a small, very simple house church. The meeting room has a concrete floor, and they set up plastic chairs for service and clear them away to sit on the floor for lunch. The bathroom is a squatty potty, and to wash your hands, you go to the backyard, dip some water out of a bucket and lather up your hands w/ a bar of soap! There is a small cooking unit (not a stove, but something like one). Needless to say, there's no air-conditioning, but there's not at Pak Ping Church, either, so I'm trying to get used to being HOT on Sunday mornings. (Last night, however, there was a wonderful cool breeze; I was almost chilly sitting outside!). I really loved Pastor Ton's church. I don't know how to describe it except that it's sweet; without all the unnecessary extras, these people just focus on loving the Lord and each other. They have so little but they are so generous. Pastor Ton has barely enough money to live on, but he insisted on paying for our meal last night (and would not be persuaded otherwise) -and not out of an attitude to show off, but just to bless his friends. It's a small church, maybe 12-15 people. No instruments except guitar, but I felt that the worship was genuine and beautiful. And God does not require a big, fancy building in order for us to worship Him. Ok, that's all for now, though I always feel like I have so much more to share than I can write about!



No comments: